Thursday 7 August 2008

McCommunism

I thought about doing something in relation to China and the Olympic Games, but Naomi Klein writes far more intelligently than I ever could here.

I'm quite conflicted. On one hand I love my sport and the Olympics is the pinnacle of that. For two weeks I'm glued to the big events like athletics, but I also develop a passion for others - track cycling (where the GB team should sweep the board), rowing, canoeing... You name it, hell even they gymnastics can be pretty interesting (when they're vaulting, not dancing). Everything apart from dressage. Which is clearly not a sport.

But they're in China. A country which takes the worst of authoritarian totalitarianism and capitalist consumerism. Its a insult to describe their human rights record as questionable. Its a moral disgrace. Its perhaps going over the top to invoke the 1936 Berlin Olympics, but its certainly not going too far to say this is the biggest Olympic propaganda exercise since. China is the new kid on the block - the debutante. The IOC may have said at the time the Olympics would put China under international pressure to change its ways, but we all know that's not going to happen. They're a disgrace.

Its not fair to put pressure on the athletes to boycott or protest. But if any do they'll have my support.

No comments: