Thursday 12 June 2008

Dyslexia Panic Averted

I had a mini moment of crisis today.

I caught the headline of a newspaper today, and at first glance it appeared to be gobbeldy gook. I tried to ignore it, assuming that I was in a dream like state where things didn't naturally make sense. Except I was definitely not sleeping.

So I tried reading it again, and I definitely did not understand the headline. It was two made up words, surely. Then the panic really set in. Oh my god, I thought, I've actually lost the ability to read. Surely its like riding a bike, or tieing your laces. Once you have it, it don't go anywhere.

Then I realised that not only could I not understand the headline, BUT NONE OF THE OTHER WORDS MADE SENSE EITHER. I was fucked, clearly. My life was in ruins, because I had forgotten how to read.

This all happened in the space of what I would estimate to be around 1 second. This was the lenght of time it tookme to clock that it was the Polish edition of the Sun, and that as I can't read Polish it was not a big surprise that it was incomprehensible.

No comments: