Wednesday 11 June 2008

Here's hoping no assassins are reading...

Today, apropos of nothing, I worked out how I would assassinate myself, were I able to maintain split personalities capable of being in different places at the same time. Or perhaps I mean, how someone might assassinate me, were they so inclinded to do so.

Around a half mile from my flat there's an old building. I think its an old factory, and may now in fact be a brewery. Its quite tall, and the top features castle style turrets and slit windows. Clearly these windows are perfect for lurking in. Even with contacts in, there's no-one I could see anything.


Now from these slit windows, there's a clear line of vision to my kitchen window. Now, anyone who did a bit of research on me, would know that I hate leaving dirty dishes. Given that my kitchen sink is right by the window, its a guaranteed fact that every night I'll spend at least 10 minutes standing there, blissfully unaware of the potential for doom (until now). Not only that, but as I'm also a creature of habit its more or less the same time every day that I'm there. Obviously I can't disclose the time for safety reasons.

Not only that, but given the good transport links the sniper could be well away (from Bridgeton train station) immediately. By estimation if it took an hour or so to get the manhunt under way - assuming that someone hears the shot - the sniper could be as far away as Edinburgh. If the assassination wasn't discovered straight away, Mr. Sniper could even get to the airport and be out of the country. Presumably to somewhere without an extradition treaty to the United Kingdom.

A half decent sniper on a clear day would have me on toast. Although, with my admittedly rudimentary knowledge of sniping (Call of Duty 4 not withstanding), there appear to be 2 things in my favour.

1. The bullet would have to cross a busy park and a river, meaning that there is little wind cover. Given that it can be quite windy, the sniper would need to be skilled.
2. The bullet would also have to come through glass, which I'd imagine would slow it down enough in my favour. Conversely the glass might also lacerate me quite harmfully. Swings and roundabouts, this one.

Also in my favour is the fact that I can't think of any reason why someone would want me dead. Of course, those are probably the people that do end up getting assassinated...

The buiding can be made out in the gap between the two appartment buildings facing on to me.

No comments: